Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What Do You Do?

I've been retired for 13 years.  Even when I worked I was semi retired.  We always got a two month summer vacation.  Since I have a Masters Degree in French, I always went to Europe.  I saw a more of France than most French people. 

Since I retired I have been buying and selling houses.  I made a big profit.  But the crash of 2008 put an end to that.  So finally lately I travel again to Europe.  I went to Paris twice this year.  It was cold in February and rainy in May there. 

At my Cape Cod house which I bought in 2003, I bicycle to the pond near my house every day.  One morning in 2005, I found a man hanging from a tree there.  The 56 year old Vietnam veteran had committed suicide that morning dressed in a white shirt, white jeans and white sneakers by hanging from that tree around the corner from his house. He left a wife and baby.  Previously he had tried to do it in his garage.  When I found him he had succeeded. 

Now when I go to the pond I always straighten the cross that I put under that tree.  The cross is made of clam shells, blue mussel shells and sticks.  Marauding squirrels and  overly efficient gardeners are always disturbing the cross.  I straighten it each day.  The dead man's wife and child still live around the corner.  I have never seen them at the park on the pond in Old Cape Cod. 

No comments:

Post a Comment